Information on Joining Sutton & District AC & Membership
HOW TO JOIN SUTTON & DISTRICT AC
SUTTON & DISTRICT AC - HOW TO JOIN
Sutton & District Club nights take place on Tuesday & Thursday evenings for athletes age 11 and up. If you are interested in joining please contact email@example.com and we forward a welcome pack to you. Please do not turn up at the David Weir Centre on club nights to discuss joining as due to coaching commitments we are unable to arrange membership at this time. Once we have received the application form back from you we will arrange an induction session. Please be aware that Sutton & District is not part of Everyone Active (SLM) and therefore they will be unable to give you information on Sutton & District AC.
Sutton & District AC Club membership is required to be paid after 3 trial sessions. Forms can be downloaded from our membership & kit page. All Club members and those taking part in trial sessions are to sign in at the table set up in the main foyer of the David Weir Leisure Centre before entering the Centre for Health & Safety Requirements.
Please also note that Sutton & District AC is a club run purely by Volunteers, and therefore at times we will not be able to contact you immediately (we will try our best) in addition we will sometimes need to close memberships depending on capacity and coach availability.
Please note that all athletes are expected to compete at least 75% of all club league matches.
To enter the track as well as being a member of Sutton & District you will also have to become a member of Everyone Active. Everyone Active have different price plans on membership; pay as you go and monthly memberships. Please talk to them about this.
Athletes under the age of 11
Young athletes aged between 8 and 10 years who are keen to compete please contact Everyone Active on 0208 641 9480 or our club (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will provide you with information on our Monday night training group. Currently a group is run by Everyone Active (SLM) on a Monday evening between 6 and 7pm. This group is for those who are keen to compete for an athletics club with the opportunity to transfer to club nights once they become 11 years old. To join this group you will need to also become affiliated to Sutton & District AC.
(If your child is under 8 and wants to try athletics but not compete yet please contact Everyone Active who will give you details of after-school athletic activities that they run).
General Information on Training
Once placed with a Coach if age 11 or over you will be placed with a coach. Training sessions take place on Tuesdays & Thursday from 6.30-8.30pm & Sunday mornings 10am-12pm. Some athletes may be asked to attend coaching on other days and this will depend on your coach. Your coach will give you more detail on times for these which will depend on time of year , your age and whether there are events on that day.
U11s can join Sutton & District but will need to attend our U11s training sessions first. These sessions take place on Monday evenings. Following induction you will be given more information on this
GUIDELINES FOR GOOD TRAINING SESSIONS AT SUTTON & DISTRICT AC.
To enable safe training we would recommend the following:
1) Water (at least one) or isotonic drink to ensure hydration before, during and after training. (There is a café upstairs but it can be disruptive during rest breaks for athletes to disappear upstairs to buy drinks). Water bottles can be topped up but all athletes need to check with their coach where this can be done and when it's a suitable time.
2) Small healthy snack (for refuel after training)
3) Medication: Asthma pumps, please make sure the coach is aware if the athlete has asthma and in addition if a pump has been forgotten for training, training can be adapted to accommodate this. For your information Coaches under UKA rules are forbidden to offer pumps to athletes that are not the athletes own prescribed inhaler. Please do not put your child at risk by letting them attend without a pump. If you are able to provide a named pump we can keep this locked in the clubroom for emergency use.
Please ensure the coach is aware if the athlete is taking any other medication at the time of training.
4) Membership cards; Club card essential as it should have emergency contact number on the back (Please remember to update the club if your emergency contact numbers change). Also remember Everyone Active Membership card for entrance to the Arena. In addition, all athletes to sign in at registration desk as part of our H&S rules.
5) Spikes/Suitable footwear (not plimsolls). We can lend out spikes occasionally.
6) All athletes 11 or under must have a parent present.
7) Suitable clothing for training in for the days weather conditions.
8) Welfare concerns please do talk to Claire and Neville our two Welfare Officers (contact numbers on our contact page) or your Coach.
9) Please remember that all coaches are Volunteers at the club.
Note: Please remember for matches to bring your club vest and if you don't have one you can purchase one from Paul. The Team Managers don't provide vests any longer as spares have not been returned.
Sutton & District AC are Located at The David Weir Leisure Centre (formerly Sutton Arena), Middleton Road, Carshalton Surrey SM5 1SL
BACKGROUND ON SUTTON & DISTRICT AC
Sutton and District was formed in 1985 when two local clubs formed. The former Sutton and Cheam Harriers, who were based at Sutton United's ground (Gander Green lane) and Mitcham AC who were based at the News of the World sportsground after moving themselves to Rose Hill in 1960.
The club was therefore named Sutton and District for a number of reasons, firstly there was already a Sutton athletics club in St Helens in North England. The other being that Mitcham was outside the London Borough of Sutton and so District was added to Sutton to form Sutton and District as it is now known.
In 2012 Sutton & District AC received the a Club Mark award.